Friday, April 12, 2013

Source Code starring Jake Gyllenhaal


I thought Source Code was a pretty good film but made one mistake lethal to the entire movie.

I'll try to not make this into a spoiler, but if you do intend to see the film, maybe you shouldn't read this.  I do recommend the film but I think the filmmakers hurt the movie tremendously with one simple choice:

They decided on a special cameo for the sci-fi fans.  This cameo fumbled the dramatic ball at a key moment in the film, and undid the dramatic work of the main characters in One Foul Swoop.  This is really sad because as this subgenre of science fiction goes, it was pretty good up until that point.

I'm trying to imagine what they thought looking at the final cut.  Were they afraid of removing the cameo and insulting that actor?  Or did they really not realize just how lame it was?

In the subgenre, Deja Vu is, I think, an underrated movie.  Somewhat related, but not quite as sci-fi-ish, is Premonition. Also underrated, in spite of what I recall as a little bit of a tv movie vibe.

Hard-core time travel story fans:  Look at Timecrimes and Primer.




No comments:

Post a Comment